SurfaceCycle CareersCorporate Payroll Manager
The position is responsible for delivering payroll related services across all SurfaceCycle
operating entities. Key responsibilities include the accurate and timely administration of data
management, processing, record keeping, reconciliation, and reporting. Ensures a high degree of
customer service and response with payroll related items.
Essential Job Duties
Develop and maintain a deep and broad understanding of the Company’s HR/Payroll
(HRIS) and timekeeping systems.
o Compliment that knowledge with an understanding of the Company’s ERP and
other accounting related systems (and their connection to the HRIS).
• Build and maintain effective working relationships with all employees, particularly those
positions responsible for participating in the preparation and processing of payroll related
activities (HR Managers, Office Managers, accounting members, operational supervisors
/ managers, etc.).
• Create effective, efficient and compliant processes that ensures the timely and accurate
processing of regularly scheduled weekly and bi-weekly pay cycles, off-cycle payroll
payments, and/or other related reporting.
• Form and maintain effective partnerships with HR and Office Managers in order to
develop a clear segregation of duties between entity level data management and
centralized payroll processing.
o Document the steps required to process the entire employment lifecycle in HRIS
and responsible positions for each.
o Ensure a high degree of consistency and uniformity with how information/data is
recorded across all entities.
o Ensure all timekeeping activities are accurate and prepared for batch submittal in
a timely manner, including time in/out records and paid time off (general paid
time off, bereavement, civic, etc.).
o Partner with the Director HR Operations to ensure proper administration of leave
of absence policies/practices and pay implications.
o Develop a structured process for administering prevailing wages and/or certified
payroll activities for all entities based on assigned projects and work locations
(under a centralized concept).
o Effectively administer garnishment deductions/submittals and similar related
o Ensure electronic EDI files are transmitted in a timely and accurate fashion and
that employee level benefit elections and deductions accurately coincide with the
respective carrier records.
• Review benefit related invoices and reports and subsequently reconcile such invoices
prior to submittal to accounting for payment processing.
• Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll laws, including but not limited to
• Ensure conformance to Company policies (proper administration of employee
classifications, pre/post tax implications, paid time off policies, proper application of pay
eligibility and/or overtime, reimbursements, deductions, etc.).
• Effectively manage ongoing tax related activities (quarterly payroll related reporting, W2
processing, 1095s, etc.).
• Assist in the creation and distribution of payroll related communications (both internal
and external), including total reward statements.
• Facilitate or assist with internal or external audits by providing records and
documentation to auditors.
• Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly,
quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, headcount, paid time off
accruals and payments, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
• Proactively problem solve on a variety of payroll related matters. Ensure full
optimization of HRIS capabilities while also identifying and recommending updates to
payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
• As required, actively engage in any applicable merger and acquisition initiatives
including due diligence and integration.
• Serves as a customer minded resource when responding to payroll related inquiries while
balancing the need to promote education and utilization of employee self service portals.
• Be viewed as the resident payroll expert for the organization.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of information at all times.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• A Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience.
• Extensive knowledge of payroll administration, including the preparation, transmittal,
reconciliation and compliance of such activities.
• A minimum of 7 years of related experience in a multi-site / multi-state environment.
• Prior experience with acquisition integrations and high growth / scaling environments
• Prior experience in a construction / skilled labor / diverse workforce environment
• Specific ADP experience coupled with a deep understanding of certified payroll
administration. ERP experience (specifically Sage 300; job costing) a big plus.
• High degree of accuracy and attention to detail, excellent critical thinking skills, and
ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to prioritize among competing
• Strong analytical and numerical aptitude.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Advance proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite particularly including Word and Excel.
• Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills; customer service
minded approach in all interactions.
• Demonstrated skills in persuasion and consensus-building coupled with effective
• Flexible, dependable, confident and accountable; ability to maintain confidentiality and
navigate sensitive issues
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
• Works in an indoor office relatively free from environmental conditions or hazards.
• Use of office equipment and computers.
• Occasional lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
• Positions in this class typically include extended sedentary periods, talking, hearing,
seeing, grasping, movement and repetitive motions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of this Company to assure that applicants are employed,
and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to
their race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color,
national origin, age or disability. Such action shall include: employment,
upgrading, demotion, or transfer; recruitment or recruitment advertising;
layoff or termination; rates of pay or other forms of compensation; and
selection for training, including apprenticeship, pre-apprenticeship,
and/or on-the-job training.