SurfaceCycle CareersHeavy Equipment Mechanic-CO
Reporting ManagerShop Manager
The position is responsible for safely and effectively repairing numerous types of heavy equipment and vehicles in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
Essential Job Duties
- Above all, ensure that safe practices are followed in all aspects of daily activities.
- Diagnose / troubleshoot mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical issues accurately the first time.
- Read schematics, diagrams, blue-prints, etc. to assist with repairs and/or diagnostics.
- Diagnose complex electric, hydraulic, and mechanical issues.
- Remove, replace, and repair major components of milling machines, skid-steer loaders, street sweepers, heavy and light trucks, etc.
- Perform routine maintenance services on heavy equipment.
- Conduct annual vehicle inspections as per Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements.
- Perform repairs on-site in the field as needed.
- Maintain degree of professionalism and customer satisfaction for employees operating the equipment and a positive customer experience.
- Actively communicate with the Shop Manager, other mechanics, operators, etc. to ensure time repair and maintenance services are provided. Ensure part needs are communicated to Shop Manager to ensure proper inventory levels.
- Maintain ability to work overtime, nights and weekends particularly during the high season summer months.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prior mechanical training, technical knowledge and heavy equipment diesel mechanic experience.
- Detail oriented, organized, and capable of working independently and efficiently in a high-pressure environment.
- Reasonable level of computer literacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people and backgrounds.
- Ability to work overtime, nights and weekends particularly during the high season summer months
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Occasionally works in an indoor office relatively free from environmental conditions or hazards.
- Must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work outside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to use both hands and demonstrate good hand-eye coordination.
- Tolerance to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Potentially exposed to contaminants, such as dust or fumes from exhaust; frequent exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Occasionally work in very bright or very dim lighting conditions.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations that produce cuts or minor burns.
- Occasionally are exposed to whole body vibration, such as when using a jackhammer.
- May need to work in tight/confined spaces or work areas.
- Must be able to regularly wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.