SurfaceCycle CareersGeneral Manager
Reporting ManagerRegional Vice President
$125,000 – $165,000
20% Annual bonus based on performance
Company Paid Vehicle
The General Manager is a key leadership role responsible for the operations and overall safety while maximizing volume, gross margin, and overall efficiency. Leads teams responsible for safety, account management, estimating, operations, and general administrative support functions. This role focuses on executing strategies and initiatives to ensure seamless day-to-day operations and contribute to the overall organizational success. Serves as a key partner to the Regional Vice President and works closely with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and other members of the executive team to ensure key initiatives and deliverables are executed related to equipment/fleet management, accounting/finance, human resources, safety, and systems.
Essential Job Duties
- Directly own the implementation and continuous improvement of safety, risk management and related environmental programs across the organization.
- Work with Director of Environmental Health & Safety to ensure the development, deployment, support, monitoring, and review of standards and management systems for all EHS matters.
- Sponsor and support corporate initiatives and ensure proper coordination of safety policies, OSHA compliance, Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance, training activities, and various risk management functions.
Marketing and Account Management
- Constantly build and grow relationships with customers, agencies, potential business partners, suppliers, and industry peers as an extension of the Company’s marketing and commercialization efforts.
- Actively promote pavement preservation solutions.
- Advocates, implements and leverages corporate CRM and estimating tools.
- Conforms with commercial delegation of authority standards and actively participates in bid review process.
- Understand upcoming bid opportunities and ensure we proactively influence project scope and specifications as much as possible.
- Develop and maintain a constant awareness of current market conditions, pricing, economic conditions, and legislation impacting the business.
- Ensure estimating staff are bidding projects across all desired disciplines, at appropriate market rates and are continuously marketing our capabilities with customers.
- Oversee all aspects of operations effectively; optimize capital investments, properly execute labor resources, and manage expenses to ensure achievement of growth and profitability targets.
- Ensure operational leaders are operating efficiently and resources are allocated in a productive, efficient and profitable manner.
- Maintain a clear understanding of current job costs, production rates, and profitability.
- Be willing, able, and available to assist operational personnel in handling urgent job issues as they arise – supply and implement solutions at a moment’s notice.
- Provide consistent communication with customers and ensure relationships are constantly developed and nurtured; ensure quality standards are maintained and proactively resolved.
- Effectively manage relationships with partners, vendors, and internal/external stakeholders.
- Partner with CHRO to collaborate on people related initiatives, structure, culture and change management.
- Serve as a transformative leader and establish policies that promote Company culture and vision while leading employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication; ensure team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
- Guide and direct entity level HR resources including the full employment cycle (hiring, onboarding, promotions, demotions, performance management and terminations).
- Directly handle employee and performance issues as necessary and appropriate.
- Maintain constant positive exposure to employees to ensure consistent communication exists in order to understand shifts in culture, attitudes, and morale.
Accounting / Finance
- Maintain a sound understanding of general accounting procedures, processes, and data flow.
- Partner with CFO and Corporate Controller to fully understand all components of the budget and financials and maintain a constant understanding of financial performance. Proactively and continually communicate financial performance relative to targets across organization.
- Ensure accounting functions are being performed appropriately including expense management, accounts receivable collections, invoicing, etc.
- Analyze budgets and financial reports regularly and assists with financial analytics and reporting.
General / Administrative
- Conforms with corporate delegation of authority standards for all purchases and expense management.
- Have a solid understanding of all software applications utilized.
- Understand risk exposure including insurance policies, workers’ compensation, safety, and legal exposures.
- Have a general understanding of compliance requirements (employment, FMCSA, DOT, financial, etc.).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of commercial/civil/highway construction experience with at least 5 years of senior management experience in a high-performing operationally intensive organization.
- Track record of successfully meeting or exceeding organizational targets and driving a significant impact; proven ability to drive organizational change.
- Proven aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving. Ability to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues.
- Understanding of advanced business planning and regulatory issues.
- Sound financial acumen and a solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics.
- Excellent leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; ability to gain consensus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to effectively interact with employees and key internal/external stakeholders at all levels in a construction environment.
- Ability to occasionally travel.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Occasionally works in an indoor office relatively free from environmental conditions or hazards.
- Occasionally works outdoors and must tolerate temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift 25 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Tolerance to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Potentially exposed to contaminants, such as dust or fumes from exhaust as there may be frequent exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.