SurfaceCycle CareersGrader Operator
Reporting ManagerGeneral Manager
$30–$34/hr Depending on Experience
The Motor Grader Operator is responsible for safe and efficient operation of motor grader to finish grade within acceptable tolerances.
Essential Job Duties
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task
- Capable of finishing bases to acceptable tolerances either through 3D Milling (Total Station) or GPS positioning.
- Perform routine inspections and maintenance on equipment; report defects and repairs to maintenance department
- Avoid potential hazards and obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, and objects
- Demonstrate an understanding of grades and interpret roadway plans and drawings
- Align machines with reference stakes and guidelines or ground or position equipment, following hand signals of other workers
- Operates other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required—role will flex heavily from Grading to Milling operations as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good Communication and must be safety-oriented and exhibit safe work habits
- Self-motivated and eager to learn new skills
- Highly reliable, team player, ability to work well with others
- Ability to follow verbal and written instruction
- Ability to communicate with customers, inspectors, and testing firms
- Willing to work hours that are associated to the asphalt industry, including overtime, nights and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel to and from job locations across the Tri-State area—overnight and travel work will be part of the scope of work
- Ability to read operating instructions and complete pre-shift and post shift inspections.
- Ability to work in elevated areas and outdoors.
- Basic math skills, and capable of reading plans, grade stakes, and set blue tops
- Must be able to grade to tight tolerances on multiple projects to meet specifications.
- Must be able to work with Municipal and DOT inspectors daily on site.
- Valid driver license is required and good driving record.
- Pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions and tolerate being exposed to loud noise
- Ability to lift 75 pounds
- Must be able to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Work is highly seasonal and as such may require a lot of overtime, with winter season being very limited in work/scope
- Housing can be provided dependent on skillset for those that are open to overtime and flexible work responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ready to Join the SurfaceCycle Team?
Complete this application form to be considered for this position. If you need assistance, please email email@example.com.