SurfaceCycle CareersHR Manager
Reporting ManagerGeneral Manager
FLSA StatusNot Applicable
Annual base salary range of $75,000 – $90,000 plus annual discretionary bonus.
Are you someone who…
- Has a knack for HR and thrives in a skilled-labor workforce environment?
- Has a remarkable work ethic, can work autonomously while also being highly collaborative and is hungry to succeed?
- Fits well into an environment with operations starting early in the morning and not shaken by long days particularly during the high season (April – October)?
- Prides themselves in delivering an exceptional employee experience?
- Considers themselves a strong HR Generalist (HR and payroll processing functional knowledge) and is excited to grow their HR career as the business evolves and grows?
If yes, keep reading!
The HR Manager is responsible for providing human resource (HR) and payroll processing services to all employees within assigned operating entity. Key responsibilities include partnering with the General Manager and their key members, the CHRO and other corporate personnel to ensure company-wide and/or operating entity specific initiatives are implemented and managed within assigned operating entity.
Responsible for all activities of the HR function within assigned operating entity including the full lifecycle of employment activities (recruiting, new hire onboarding, performance management and employee relations, training and development, benefits and pay administration, leave of absence, enforcing company policies and practices) including full administration of HR/Payroll Systems (HRIS).
Essential Job Duties
HR/Payroll Systems (HRIS)
- Actively participate in the implementation and administration of upgraded HR/Payroll systems.
- Ensure primary responsibility of updating/maintaining/processing all data within HRIS is timely/accurate.
- Gain expert level knowledge of HRIS, ensure system is administered in accordance with corporate initiatives (i.e., applicant tracking system, onboarding, benefit enrollments/changes, employment changes, offboarding) and system is fully utilized/optimized (including reporting capabilities.
- Provide excellent customer service and support for employees related to employee self service entries into HRIS. Guide and educate employees on properly selecting employment/benefit related elections and making such entries in HRIS. Continually field questions and serve as a resource/guide for all inquiries.
- Ensure all entries are completed and approved in a timely manner for accurate EDI transmittals, including the importing of timekeeping activities for recurring payroll transmittals. Acquire necessary details to properly account for employee level tax implications (city/state level) based on worksite locations.
- Frequently assess opportunities to ease administrative burdens; support the company’s paperless environment initiatives as well as the adoption of a single set of user practices across all entities.
- Ensure highest level of utilization of employee and manager self-service portals. Partner with Director HR Operations to ensure employee/manager self-service portal user guides are developed/updated; deliver end user training for assigned operating entity.
- Ensure all benefit programs are properly administered in the system according to plan eligibility, premiums, qualifying events, documentation, etc.
- As applicable, ensure garnishments, certified payroll, verifications of employment and other payroll related tasks are properly administered.
Recruiting and Onboarding
- Directly manage/lead (or as applicable, partner with assigned Regional Recruiter to ensure proactive collaboration of) the following recruiting efforts:
- Applicant tracking systems
- Job postings – local outreach (including employee referral programs), social media, job boards, company website updates, employee referral program outreach
- Applicant screening, coordination of interviews, job offers, background screens and related onboarding (see below).
- Continually identify creative recruiting methods and provide recommendations.
- Partnering with General Manager (and their management team) to continually assess the entity’s talent needs; collaborate with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Creating/maintaining current job descriptions; as requested, research market level compensation benchmarking / salary surveys for positions within assigned regions.
- Create and deliver enhanced new employee onboarding process. Develop day one agenda, facilitate electronic onboarding experience, summarize employee handbook, safety manuals and benefit offerings, conduct employee introductions and facility tours.
- Ensure completeness of all new hire documentation (including I-9/E-Verify), certification forms, electronic consents, etc.
- Conduct check-ins to continually assess employee’s assimilation into company/culture; proactively respond to opportunities to ensure retention of new employee or address performance deficiencies.
- Coordinate initial new hire benefit enrollments within first 30 days of employment; ensure employee understands benefit coverage levels, carrier networks, resources, and value of total compensation package. Reconcile related carrier billing and resolve employee coverage issues/inquiries.
- Recommend improvements to SurfaceCycle HR form templates both within and outside of HRIS (i.e., employment application, new hire packet, employment changes, employee referral program, acknowledgements, terminations, etc.).
- Ensure HR policies/practices (and related grandfathered provisions, if applicable) are communicated and enforced.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations including job site compliance postings.
- Generate and disseminate relevant reports to General Manager and their managers that serve as a tool to monitor trends of the operating entity. Educate team on recruiting, retention and culture/climate trends and opportunities for improving business performance.
- Partner with Director HR Operations to ensure proper administration of leave of absence policies/practice and other compliance related initiatives.
- Actively participate in the integration of new acquisitions, as applicable.
- Partner with General Manager (and their management team) to advise on disciplinary matters in accordance with company policies. Partner with CHRO on related documentation (warnings, performance improvement plans, termination letters).
- Actively participate in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations and investigations.
- Create learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees.
- Ensure HR document management and retention practices are compliant and consistent with company standards; utilize adopted HR record management systems (personnel files, benefit files, I-9s, etc.).
- Analyze local trends in compensation; propose competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent. Provide guidance to CHRO and General Manager on matters related to compensation and talent retention.
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of company’s benefit offerings; manage initial new hire enrollments, changes and annual open-enrollment initiatives.
- If applicable, review annual 1391 EEO reporting requirements and submit related federal jobs and through the Federal Highway Administration website. Partner with CHRO to ensure related EEO and/or OFCCP/AAP requirements are accounted for.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all personnel and actively participate in related team meetings.
- Develop deep and effective working relationships with General Manager and their teams.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law. Provide recommendations.
- Serve as a customer-service minded resource for all employees by being available and accessible to discuss HR related issues.
- Immediately escalate all risk situations or special inquiries to CHRO.
- May be responsible for administering the issuance of company credit cards, replacement cards, credit limits and monitoring of related activity.
- May be responsible for administering the company’s cell phone/mobile device hardware, related plans and billing.
- As applicable, supervise office personnel and/or ensure proper oversight of related activities.
- Maintain confidentiality of information at all times.
- Complete other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A minimum of 3 years of HR experience: full employment lifecycle experience a plus (recruiting, new hire onboarding, performance management and employee relations, training and development, benefits and pay administration, leave of absence, and enforcing company policies and practices, and HR/Payroll system administration experience).
- ADP HR/Payroll system experience and construction industry experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent work experience; HR certification preferred.
- Knowledge of personnel policies, recordkeeping requirements, procedures, practices and general employment laws.
- Proven experience effectively developing relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365, etc.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail, excellent critical thinking skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to prioritize among competing duties/projects.
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills; customer service minded approach in all interactions. Bilingual Spanish a plus.
- Demonstrated skills in persuasion and consensus-building coupled with effective negotiation skills.
- Experience working with a diverse workforce and multi-site environment.
- Flexible, dependable, confident and accountable; ability to maintain confidentiality and navigate sensitive issues.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Works in an indoor office relatively free from environmental conditions or hazards.
- Use of office equipment and computers.
- Occasional lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
- Positions in this class typically include extended sedentary periods, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, movement and repetitive motions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.