SurfaceCycle CareersLaborer / Ground Crew (UT)
Hourly pay rate depends on experience; position is eligible for overtime and company wide benefit offerings to provide a very attractive compensation package.
The Laborer/Ground Crew position will be assigned to a variety of projects on various job sites. The position will assist the Foreman on monitoring the ground functions of the equipment as well as operating heavy equipment, smaller equipment, and/or completing physical labor related duties. The Foreman will also direct the daily work activities of the Laborer/Ground.
Essential Job Duties
- May operate equipment that requires technical expertise and/or specialized training. Heavy mechanical equipment to include but not limited to front-end loaders, track and/or rubber tire loaders, dump trucks, backhoes, motor graders, water trucks, milling machines, reclaimers, and forklifts in a safe and efficient manner.
- Inspects equipment, and/or components daily to identify hazards, defects, necessary adjustments and repairs. Performs minor maintenance activities and reports exceptional problems to Foreman and/or supervisor.
- Ensures equipment is clean, maintained, and securely stored.
- Maintains ability to use sensors for level and grade control.
- Occasionally confers with customers or the general public and is expected to do so in a professional manner. Communicates any concerns to Foreman and/or supervisor.
- Maintains good working relations with co-workers and other employees.
- Maintain ability to work overtime, nights and weekends particularly during the high season.
- Maintains ability to travel up to 100% of time to various job sites.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Complete special projects as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with rotomilling and/or related equipment highly preferred.
- Knowledge of organizational and safety operations and procedures, safety methods and practices preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of Department of Transportation (DOT) and current OSHA rules and regulations and ensuring compliance with these guidelines preferred.
- Ability to engage in heavy manual labor for extended periods, in all types of weather and under various working conditions.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English language well enough to converse with the general public, to convey information effectively to other, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.
- Ability to use good judgement and foresight.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors and will be on their feet all day while either walking or standing.
- Ability to work Monday through Sunday and overtime as required (including irregular hours, out of town work, overnight stays, weekends and holidays).
- Demonstrated skills in the care and use of hand and power tools employed in all phases of heavy equipment mechanical maintenance and repair work.
- Reliable work ethic; regular attendance is required.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work outside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to use both hands and demonstrate good hand-eye coordination.
- Tolerance to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Potentially exposed to contaminants, such as dust or fumes from exhaust; frequent exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Occasionally work in very bright or very dim lighting conditions.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations that produce cuts or minor burns.
- Occasionally are exposed to whole body vibration, such as when using a jackhammer.
- May need to work in tight/confined spaces or work areas.
- Must be able to regularly wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of this Company to assure that applicants are employed,
and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to
their race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color,
national origin, age or disability. Such action shall include: employment,
upgrading, demotion, or transfer; recruitment or recruitment advertising;
layoff or termination; rates of pay or other forms of compensation; and
selection for training, including apprenticeship, pre-apprenticeship,
and/or on-the-job training.