SurfaceCycle CareersSafety Manager
Reporting ManagerDirector, Environmental Health and Safety (Director EHS)
EntityAlpha Milling Company
$75,000 – $105,000 depending on experience; position is eligible for a discretionary bonus
Position is assigned to our Alpha Milling operation and is responsible for implementing and continuously improving the safety and risk management programs. Oversees daily safety activities including the implementation/monitoring of safety policies, OSHA/DOT and other related regulatory compliance programs, safety related training activities, and various risk management functions.
Essential Job Duties
- Partners closely with Director EHS to ensure environmental, health, safety and risk management initiatives are implemented and effectively monitored across assigned operating entity. Ensures Director EHS is notified in a timely manner for any regulatory inquiries, audits, responses, etc.
- Provides continued development and implementation of safety best practices to all employees.
- Provides recommended updates to policies, procedures and record keeping activities.
- Manages OSHA /DOT compliance and other relevant regulatory activities for assigned operating entity.
- Manages DOT driver qualification files to ensure records are current and maintained; provides guidance on DOT regulation matters.
- Conducts accident investigations and provides recommendations to eliminate illness/injury exposures. Ensures effective analysis and management of safety statistics and safety related documentation.
- Effectively manage insurance workers’ compensation claims; effectively works with managers/supervisors to ensure modified duty options (and related return to work programs) are made available.
- Conducts near miss investigations when needed and provide effective recommendations for positive change.
- Conducts job site audits, documents findings and collaborates with management team on recommendations.
- Educates, trains and builds risk awareness among employees. Conducts field level safety meetings and health and safety discussions.
- Actively participates in the new hire onboarding process and presents EHS related materials (safety manual overview, PPE issuance, job specific safety related training, etc.).
- Develops key relationships with broker, insurers and other service providers.
- Participate in safety related committees/knowledge groups associated with your local geography.
- Write and present various safety related reports to Director EHS and management.
- Consistently promote a positive safety awareness culture.
- Complete special projects as required.
- Maintain ability to travel.
- Work with vendors to negotiate favorable pricing for all company provided PPE.
- Develop and maintain efficient system to distribute PPE both during onboarding and when replacement items are needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A minimum of 3 years related safety experience.
- Specific commercial/civil/highway construction and FMCSA/DOT/fleet safety experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related preferred.
- Professional safety certifications (e.g. CHMM, CSP, CHSP) and related safety training preferred.
- Proven experience effectively developing relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels in a construction environment, including varying personalities in a multi-site environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365, etc.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail, excellent critical thinking skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to prioritize among competing duties/projects.
- Effective written/verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively balance the completion of administration duties while also demonstrating effective safety implementation and monitoring skills.
- Ability to frequently travel to job sites; other travel may require up to 60% overnight.
- Ability to quickly and effectively manage safety incidents even at odd hours or weekends.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Use of office equipment and computers.
- May work in an office setting or outside environment.
- Must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- May need to work in tight/confined spaces or work areas.
- Must be able to regularly wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.