SurfaceCycle CareersHeavy Haul (Lowboy) Driver – MN
Reporting ManagerGeneral Manager
Salary Range:$28.00 To 34.00 Hourly
**Prior experience hauling heavy machinery is required for consideration***
Position is assigned to our Coughlin Company operation and is under close supervision and training while loading, transporting, and unloading the Company’s equipment via a truck/lowboy trailer in a safe and efficient manner (local and non-local).
Essential Job Duties
- Loads, transports and unloads the Company’s equipment via a truck/lowboy trailer in a safe and efficient manner. Equipment may include but not limited to front-end loaders, track and/or rubber tire loaders, dump trucks, backhoes, motor graders, water trucks, milling machines, reclaimers, and/or forklifts.
- Inspects equipment, and/or components daily to identify hazards, defects, necessary adjustments and repairs. May perform minor maintenance activities and report exceptional problems to appropriate members.
- May operate equipment that requires technical expertise and/or specialized training.
- Ensures equipment is clean, maintained, and securely stored.
- Consistently completes all job duties in a safe manner and promotes a positive safety awareness culture.
- Demonstrates a keen sense of safety and awareness particularly when working in high traffic and potentially hazardous construction sites.
- Demonstrates a high level of attention to detail.
- Occasionally confers with customers or the general public and is expected to do so in a professional manner. Communicates any concerns to Foreman and/or supervisor.
- Maintains good working relations with co-workers and other employees.
- Maintain ability to work overtime, nights and weekends particularly during the high season.
- Maintains ability to travel up to 100% of time to various job sites.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Maintains an acceptable motor vehicle record, relevant commercial driver license (CDL) and medical card.
- Completes special projects as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Class A CDL and medical card.
- Prior heavy haul experience.
- Construction industry experience preferred.
- Specific commercial/civil/highway construction and FMCSA/DOT/fleet safety experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels in a construction environment, including varying personalities in a multi-site environment.
- Ability to work odd hours, nights, weekends and/or frequently travel to job sites including overnight travel.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work outside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to use both hands and demonstrate good hand-eye coordination.
- Tolerance to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Potentially exposed to contaminants, such as dust or fumes from exhaust; frequent exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Occasionally work in very bright or very dim lighting conditions.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations that produce cuts or minor burns.
- Occasionally are exposed to whole body vibration, such as when using a jackhammer.
- May need to work in tight/confined spaces or work areas.
- Must be able to regularly wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.