SurfaceCycle CareersMill Operator/Foreman
Compensation is between $28–$32/hr depending on experience.
The Foreman position serves as a key participant in the interaction between the company (and their assigned crew), other contractors and our customers. The position is responsible for ensuring proper leadership, training and guidance to all crew members at job sites. Also ensures the safety of crew members via communicating and enforcing Company safety programs/policies/practices as well as OSHA and other related regulatory requirements.
Essential Job Duties
- Maintains an effective working relationship with Operations Manager, Superintendent(s), Project Manager(s)/Estimator(s), Shop personnel and other internal stakeholders.
- Conducts and participates in project review and job planning meetings.
- Controls, manages, supervises and actively participates in the activities of any number of projects at various stages of work to ensure the accurate completion of the project.
- Interacts with customers by way of introductions at the beginning of a job, answering questions, responding to customer requests, making reasonable changes to the plan, and providing a walk-throughs as necessary.
- Responsible for workflow planning and organizing of jobs ensuring sufficient resources and materials are available and properly utilized.
- Directs the work activities of operators, laborers and other assigned crew members ensuring jobs are completed in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Creates and maintains a positive work culture; recognizes and proactively addresses and resolves issues/problems between crew members. Communicates personnel issues to management.
- Completes all necessary recordkeeping associated with timesheets, work orders, change orders, material requisitions, and customer tickets.
- Ensures crew compliance with the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Operates a variety of mechanical equipment in a safe manner.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and corrects malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and/or components using appropriate testing equipment and/or tools.
- May diagnose/troubleshoot mechanical, hydraulic and electronic issues. Performs maintenance activities and reports non-routine problems and/or repair requirements to Shop Manager.
- Inspects equipment, and/or components to identify hazards, defects, necessary adjustments and repairs.
- Constructs and fabricates parts, using hand tools and specifications.
- Delivers on the job and safety related training; may conduct safety tool box meetings.
- Responds to and proactively addresses/corrects safety violations. Actively participates in safety/incident investigations, completion of first reports of injury, workers’ compensation claims management, modified duty assignments, etc..
- Maintains ability to work overtime, nights and weekends particularly during the high season.
- Maintains ability to travel up to 100% of time to various job sites.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Complete special projects as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Working knowledge of heavy equipment, processes, and safety protocols.
- Valid CDL and acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Knowledge and understanding of Department of Transportation (DOT) and current OSHA rules and regulations and ensuring compliance with these guidelines.
- Ability to engage in heavy manual labor for extended periods, in all types of weather and under various working conditions.
- Proven effective oral and written communication skills, job planning skills and mechanical aptitude are a must. Ability to lead and direct the work activities of others.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and foresight as well as work in a team environment.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors and will be on their feet all day while either walking or standing.
- Ability to work Monday through Sunday and overtime as required (including irregular hours, out of town work, overnight stays, weekends and holidays).
- Demonstrated skills in the care and use of hand and power tools employed in all phases of heavy equipment mechanical maintenance and repair work.
- Reliable work ethic; regular attendance is required.
- Ability to speak Spanish as a second language preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds with co-workers, vendors, and subcontractors at all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all departmental matters.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Occasionally works in an indoor office relatively free from environmental conditions or hazards.
- Must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures that include excessive heat, cold, wind, and precipitation.
- Must be able to work outside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds to an overhead position.
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, and twist body.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to use both hands and demonstrate good hand-eye coordination.
- Tolerance to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Potentially exposed to contaminants, such as dust or fumes from exhaust; frequent exposure to hazardous equipment.
- Occasionally work in very bright or very dim lighting conditions.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations that produce cuts or minor burns.
- Occasionally are exposed to whole body vibration, such as when using a jackhammer.
- May need to work in tight/confined spaces or work areas.
- Must be able to regularly wear personal protective equipment, including hard hats, safety goggles, safety vests and/or ear plugs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. This job description is not to be construed as all inclusive. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related task as requested. Reasonable accommodations may be considered and implemented to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ready to Join the SurfaceCycle Team?
Complete this application form to be considered for this position. If you need assistance, please email email@example.com.